Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Shotguns & Vampire Baseball


I saw Twilight with Megan on Sunday, who decided to bring a friend.

Not as awful as I thought it would be actually. Megan, of course, thought the book was much better, and the movie missed out out on the humor the book had, which was mostly why she enjoyed it (as far as I understand). She still liked it, but it wasn't an overly impressive movie for her. It was good dad/daughter time though, and that's what made it fun.

I did noticed many more mom/daughter duoos in the cineplex than dad/daughters, but there were some.

There was a funny joke around the dad, a local sheriff in the movie, cocking his shotgun in prep for his job, coincidentally before meeting the daughter's new boyfriend. Predictable yes, but funny nonetheless. What was very funnt to me though, was the timbre of the laughter was noticably different from the other movie jokes: it went down an octave or so (well, a bit of writer's embellishment I suppose, but still noticable enough), and the recognition that it was dads who were laughing at the joke made it greatly amusing to me.

The 1st half of the movie was beyond expectations, in a good way. Good setup, and intriging. Oh, people can nitpick if they choose, but who cares. It was fun and mysterious.

Then the romance part came, and as you would expect, it went downhill just a wee bit. Cliched and predictable, it did not appeal to me, but you have to go into it with those expectations. To its credit, it only had one severe roll-the-eyes moment (the 'you are now my whole life' bit, which was disconnected and not remotely believable). A few others weren't good, but it wasn't palpably awful.

I did however, really like the vamp baseball bit though. I am not actually a baseball fan, as I think it's a boring waste of time, but the reason they played baseball only in thunderstorms grabbed me for some reason. The playing was neat to watch as well. Decent and fun moves.

I obviously don't have a connection with this movie, but it was neat to hang out with Megolas, and who am I to criticize her if she did. Good times.

3 comments:

Rob Barrett said...

Megolas? Does she surf down the stairs on a shield?

CounterProductive said...

...yes, while slaying Mûmakil that have wandered in from the street.

Rob Barrett said...

Those damn street oliphaunts! Animal Control ought to do something about them!