Thursday, March 12, 2009

Son of a Wedding Band

Yesterday evening, I was downstairs making a couple CDs at my mom's request when she and my sister visited this weekend. She loves the Moby song, Porcelain, which I love as well, so I put together that song and a few groovy Moby songs from my collection. I also made a mix of tunes from that little known artist, A Produce - mesmerizing synth I like a fair amount, and find relaxing (in heavy rotation at work).

During this process, I asked the boy (David) to grab my cheap earphones out of my night stand in my room upstairs, as he is about to do his piano practice, and I did not want to interfere by listening to music over the PC speakers.

He comes back down with said earphones, but also with my wedding band I set on my night stand earlier in the evening, and a look of befuddled correction on his face. When he handed over the band, he was respectful, but also mildly corrective in tone, as in, "here's your ring dad; the one you should *not* have taken off".

Almost immediately, I was very tickled by this gesture. I thought it was cute that he did not want me to have it off, as that might suggest, in his perspective, some minor marital disloyalty. I tried not to grin too widely when I explained that I take it off at times for comfort, and his mom does the same. Heck, Ruthie takes her rings off all the time.

I am still amused by this as I type. As secure as Ruthie and I are with each other, the thought of his around marital loyalties having something to do with ring wearing was not something that remotely crossed my mind.

1 comment:

Rob Barrett said...

It's not just a "kid" thing. My mother still gets snippy when she visits the house and sees me take off my wedding ring to wash my hands. Oy!