Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lost & Found


I have been eagerly anticipating the premiere of TV's "Lost" for the last day or two. In sum, it was simultaneously disappointing and fascinating, but I'll still give an pverall approval for the season premiere.

The points I did not necessarily enjoy I won't worry about. A couple things here and there, and a couple 'and why is that worth mentioning?' moments that I am fairly confident have little to do with the overall story arc.

I did think it neat that Locke had an early episode encounter with the Dharma guy.

Ben is obviously a weasel, but why do they *all* need to go back, even for nefarious reasons? Haven't figured that one out quite yet.

Faraday mentions Des is 'special'. Was he special before he tripped the failsafe or after?

I recognised the older lady near the end of the episode as the lady from Des's episode where she tells him that triggering the failsafe was the best thing he had ever done. Is that Faraday's mom after Des goes for the visit? And when Des makes up his mind that he must help our islanders, was that a past memory transplant, for lack of a better word, when he comes to the conviction he must help them? It appeared as if it was a dream from Penny's perspective, but Des thought it a memory. Weird and neat.

I did like the end of the episode where the older lady and Ben were conversing. I liked the old Trash-80-ish Dharma computer that had seeming plots on it. I will assume those are pendulum-ish variations on the island's current time position and that it wavers back and forth along the lines (that resemble an older vector graphics video game explosion from the 80s), and when it becomes "central" that is when the island can be accessed in real time sans fear of nose bleeds and dying from the bad side effects from time travel (as Des had to remedy himself from last season).

Overall, pretty good stuff. Cheech was kinda creepy to look at though. I have absolutely no room to talk about someone else's weight, but he was pudgy and older looking, and it bothered me for some reason. Was that a replacement Ana Lucia, or did they hire DUI Rodriguez back?

At least we now see what Lost really refers to, as in lost in time......

No comments: